Back to drinking water after 3 days of dry fasting.
- Weight: 160 at 6 am after drinking water. (At midnight I weighed 157.4 after fasting dry for 3 days.)
- Temp: 95.1
- BP: 130/90
I woke up around midnight and weighed myself and I was down 2 more pounds. But it was water weight, not fat. I went back to sleep and couldn’t wait to drink water this morning at 6 am.
Breaking a dry fast
I broke the 3 day dry fast by adding to a gallon of water:
- a pinch of Himalayan salt
- a pinch of backing soda
- Trace minerals
- a pinch of powdered vitamin C
- A pinch of b complex
The mixture burned my throat a little after not having any liquid, probably from the C powder. after slowly downing 6 glasses over a few hours I switched to filtered water. I didn’t pee right away because the minerals and vitamins keep the body from just dumping water.
Anecdotal people say that if you don’t add electrolytes and vitamins the water just runs right through you and can overtax the kidneys.
I still have half a gallon of the electrolyte mixture and will take a little every few days to avoid and dangerous deficiencies. b12, thiamine, magnesium, and potassium can run out in a week or two of fasting and can have fatal consequences.
Most people have at least 30 days reserve in their tissues. I am confident that I have adequate reserves. But some people have malabsorption of certain micronutrients.
Soil depletion effects our health
Also even though I have been eating huge amounts of fresh produce, beans, whole grains, tubers, and legumes every day for over a year, our soil is depleted from over tilling. Even organic produce is not as hearty as it once was.
Zach Bush is an MD who works with farmers to heal the soil
I have been re-reading Fasting and Eating for Health by Joel Fuhrman. He has been fasting patients at his retreat center for about 20 years.
Many encouraging stories about patients who recovered from type 2 diabetes, Lupus, heart disease, autoimmune diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis. Most of his patients do not fast for more than 2 weeks and some people fast only for 7 days. Though some people fast as long as 30 days. Much of the healing is done by changing the diet before and after the fast.
The healing properties of the body are amazing when we get out of the way.
Today I am really hungry. Now that I am drinking water it is a little harder to fast.
Took a walk today and cleaned Airbnb for only an hour.
My energy and focus have been great today. I went to Best Buy and bought an iMac for my photo editing freelance business and had a consultation call with a new client.
Read more fasting posts:
- Fasting Journal day 1: thoughts on why I am fasting
- Fasting journal day 2: first day of dry fasting
- Fasting Journal day 3: second day of dry fasting
- Fasting Journal day 4: third day of dry fasting and finally in full ketosis
- Fasting Journal day 5: Breaking a 3-day dry fast
- Fasting Journal day 6: thoughts on consious eaating
- Fasting Journal day 7: fasting is only the beginning of great health
- Fasting Journal day 8: thoughts on rebound weight gain after the fast
- Fasting Journal day 9: The real work begins, refeeding with the right attitude
Disclaimer: Do not fast if you have issues with a weak heart, medical conditions, or are on medications, and be sure you have supervision if you plan to go on a long fast. I am not a medical professional. This is my personal fasting journal. Please consult a medical professional before you fast.